Learn about the making of movie effects and props, from armour to weapons, creatures to costumes, make-up to miniatures.
You’ll experience a sense of childhood wonder, reaching back to a time when you created your own worlds and let your imagination run wild! We are one of the film industry’s premier special effects companies, located in the heart of Wellington’s Miramar peninsula.
What to expect
Explore props, costumes, and cool stuff
From The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit to Avatar and District 9: learn about the making of props, costumes and creatures created for your favourite films. Interact with cool stuff from our creative departments and, if you're lucky, catch an artist at work on our tour stage.
Explore the Wētā Cave retail store
A cavern of creativity in its own right! Explore our retail shop full of collectables, books, swords, games, merchandise and more, and a look through our mini-museum.
- Our tours frequently sell out, particularly during peak season (Oct-April). We strongly recommend booking online in advance.
- Photography is strictly prohibited whilst in our tour spaces.
- On-street parking is free but can get busy. Please allow ample time to find a park.
- There is no luggage storage in the Wētā Cave or within our tour spaces.
- For groups of 20 people or more, please check out our Events & Group Tours.
- Weta Workshop Tours is proud to hold a Silver Award from Be Accessible.
For our cancellation policy and terms and conditions please see here.
Reviews from TripAdvisor
Absolutely loved the combo tour. Staff were amazing but they also had so much passion and knowledge about the Weta Productions. Loved every second of the tours and would highly recommend if in Wellington and you love movies.
We did the combo tour of Weta workshop and Thunderbirds. Both were brilliant. Our guide Isaac was awesome - super knowledgeable, providing a fun and informative behind the scenes experience. So many interesting, fascinating insights and some hands-on experience too with some of the props and costumes. Can't recommend these tours highly enough. Don't miss it!
Interesting, inspiring and fun!
We really loved our visit to the Weta workshop. We did the combo tour, which also covered the Thunderbirds set. Our guide was excellent and interesting, and we were amazed to discover how many artists and specialised artisans and craftsmen are involved.