The Wētā Cave shop is a must-see for film buffs and lovers of cool stuff. See authentic Wētā-designed collectibles, prop replicas, books, jewellery, art prints, gifts, apparel and movie memorabilia.
What To Expect
- Entry to the Wētā Cave and mini-museum, is FREE.
- Incredible artefacts from the world of film – The Weta Cave boasts a range of high-end sculptures, prop replicas, art prints and apparel designed by Weta artists.
- Miniature props showcase - a mini-museum displaying Wētā Workshop artefacts from films we’ve worked on.
- Unique photo opportunities – Looking for a fantastical photo to celebrate your visit? While our tour spaces don’t allow photography, the Wētā Cave is the perfect selfie spot.
- Book guided tours and hands-on workshops directly - However, we strongly recommend booking online in advance. Our tours frequently sell out, particularly during peak season (Oct-April).
How do I get to the Wētā Cave?
Our tours depart from the Wētā Cave at 1 Weka Street, Miramar, Wellington.
Miramar is located a 15-20min drive from Wellington city center.
- Book a tour with return transfers: Many of our tours include guided return transfers from the Wellington city i-SITE
- Drive and Park: On-street parking is free but limited. Please allow ample time to find a car park. Here's a map to help you find a space!
- Public transport: Catch the 18e bus to stop 6240 on Darlington Road. From there it’s a short stroll to the Wētā Cave. Please refer to the Metlink website for the best route to take;
- Grab a Zoomy: Zoomy is NZ's own ridesharing service connecting you with friendly, local drivers at the tap of a button. With fairer rates for both passengers and drivers, get a ride in minutes at the tap of a button.
More nerding out🤓... this time at the Weta Cave!
If we’re being honest, @wetaworkshop was one of the main reasons we came to New Zealand. And it was worth it🤩
The tour of the Weta Cave is short but oh so sweet and gives you a small taste of how and why they are the absolute best at creating movie magic! 🎥 ✨
We simply could not recommend it enough! What the folks at @wetaworkshop get up to behind the scenes is pure, creative genius. 🤯👌🏻
After our tour, we strolled around downtown ‘Welly’, found some good coffee ☕️(finally) and had one last swing at the playground. 🤸🏼♂️
Now we’re about to dive into some chips and ‘tommy sauce’, while watching LOTR behind the scenes footage, because of course.😜
One more day here and then we’re heading on to the South Island!🇳🇿
Yeah, we came for the movie nerd stuff, and we’re staying for everything else! ⛰🙌🏻