The Wētā Cave shop is a must-see for film buffs and lovers of cool stuff. See authentic Wētā-designed collectibles, prop replicas, books, jewellery, art prints, gifts, apparel and movie memorabilia.
What To Expect
- Entry to the Wētā Cave and mini-museum, is FREE.
- Incredible artefacts from the world of film – The Weta Cave boasts a range of high-end sculptures, prop replicas, art prints and apparel designed by Weta artists.
- Miniature props showcase - a mini-museum displaying Wētā Workshop artefacts from films we’ve worked on.
- Unique photo opportunities – Looking for a fantastical photo to celebrate your visit? While our tour spaces don’t allow photography, the Wētā Cave is the perfect selfie spot.
- Book guided tours and hands-on workshops directly - However, we strongly recommend booking online in advance. Our tours frequently sell out, particularly during peak season (Oct-April).
How do I get to the Wētā Cave?
Our tours depart from the Wētā Cave at 1 Weka Street, Miramar, Wellington.
Miramar is located a 15-20min drive from Wellington city center.
- Book a tour with return transfers: Many of our tours include guided return transfers from the Wellington city i-SITE
- Drive and Park: On-street parking is free but limited. Please allow ample time to find a car park. Here's a map to help you find a space!
- Public transport: Catch the 18e bus to stop 6240 on Darlington Road. From there it’s a short stroll to the Wētā Cave. Please refer to the Metlink website for the best route to take;
- Grab a Zoomy: Zoomy is NZ's own ridesharing service connecting you with friendly, local drivers at the tap of a button. With fairer rates for both passengers and drivers, get a ride in minutes at the tap of a button.
More nerding out?... this time at the Weta Cave!
If we’re being honest, @wetaworkshop was one of the main reasons we came to New Zealand. And it was worth it?
The tour of the Weta Cave is short but oh so sweet and gives you a small taste of how and why they are the absolute best at creating movie magic! ? ✨
We simply could not recommend it enough! What the folks at @wetaworkshop get up to behind the scenes is pure, creative genius. ???
After our tour, we strolled around downtown ‘Welly’, found some good coffee ☕️(finally) and had one last swing at the playground. ??♂️
Now we’re about to dive into some chips and ‘tommy sauce’, while watching LOTR behind the scenes footage, because of course.?
One more day here and then we’re heading on to the South Island!??
Yeah, we came for the movie nerd stuff, and we’re staying for everything else! ⛰??