Enjoy a hands-on introduction to sculpting, combined with a guided tour of movie magic.
The sculpting room is where many of our creations come to life for the first time. Learn how to create movie magic with an introductory workshop to sculpting.
The sculpting room is where many of our creations come to life for the first time. Roll up your sleeves for an introduction to the magic of sculpture and begin to create a fantastical 3D character. No experience or tools are necessary. Just bring yourself and your enthusiasm.
Top off your day with a 90-minute tour of our hero product, the Wētā Workshop Experience.
What To Expect
Wētā Workshop Experience - 90 mins
Explore props, costumes and cool stuff
From The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit to Avatar and District 9, learn about the making of props, costumes and creatures created for your favourite films. Interact with cool stuff from our creative departments and, if you're lucky, catch an artist at work.
Creative Workshop - 60 mins
Bring a fantastical character to life: Be led through sculpting basics by the Wētā Workshop crew & bring a 3D character to life!
Learn how to craft a sculpture: From household materials and modelling clay. Take your sculpture home to finish and display!
Craft in small groups: Allowing for one-on-one time with our crew. No creative experience is necessary.
Explore the Wētā Cave retail store:
A cavern of creativity in its own right! Be greeted by giant trolls on arrival, and explore our mini-museum.
Where To Go
Departure: Your Wētā Workshop experience will start at the Wētā Cave store located on the corner of Weka Street and Camperdown Road, Miramar, Wellington.
Please allow enough time to find a carpark, as spaces are limited. You'll need to collect your tickets at the Weta Cave ticketing desk at least 15 minutes before your tour starts.
Note: This option does not include transport from Wellington City.
- There is a 550m walk between the tour space and hands-on workshop space.
- Please notify us if you have sensitive skin or known allergies. For more on the products we use, contact us at [email protected]
- Our tours & workshops frequently sell out, particularly during peak season (Oct-Apr). We strongly recommend booking online in advance.
- Photography is strictly prohibited whilst in our tour spaces.
- There is no luggage storage in the Wētā Cave or within our tour spaces.
- For groups of 20 people or more, please check out our Events & Group Tours.
- Wētā Workshop Tours is proud to hold a Silver Award from Be Accessible.
For our cancellation policy and terms and conditions please see here.