Learn techniques employed by Wētā Workshop’s costume crew as you refine, design and dye your very own leather keepsake.
For over 20 years, Wētā Workshop has crafted beautiful leatherwork for the big screen. Having kitted out countless armies with chainmaille and leather-adorned costumes, the Workshop has brought life to many films, such as The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Chronicles of Narnia and more.
Our hands-on workshop is your chance to create your own movie magic with our crew. Learn techniques used by our costume department and refine, design and dye your very own leather keepsake! It's an intro into leather work and you'll be guided through a process of creativity by our team.
What To Expect
Creative Workshop - 60 mins
Create your own keepsake: Stamp or emboss your own pattern on genuine leather, then dye and finish your sample.
Craft in small groups: Allowing for one-on-one time with our crew. No creative experience necessary. Just bring yourself and your enthusiasm.
Take your creation home!
Explore the Wētā Cave retail store:
A cavern of creativity in its own right! Be greeted by giant trolls on arrival, explore our mini-museum.
Where To Go
Check-in at our Group Tours Space.
Please allow enough time to find a carpark, as spaces are limited.
Note: This option does not include transport.
- Please notify us if you have sensitive skin or known allergies. For more on the products we use, contact us at [email protected]
- Our tours & workshops frequently sell out, particularly during peak season (Oct-Apr). We strongly recommend booking online in advance.
- Photography is strictly prohibited whilst in our tour spaces.
- There is no luggage storage in the Wētā Cave or within our tour spaces.
- Wētā Workshop Tours is proud to hold a Silver Award from Be Accessible.
For our cancellation policy and terms and conditions please see here.