Learn techniques employed by Wētā Workshop’s costume crew as you refine, design and dye your very own leather keepsake.
For over 20 years, Wētā Workshop has crafted beautiful leatherwork for the big screen. Having kitted out countless armies with chain maille and leather-adorned costumes, the Workshop has brought life to many films, such as The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Chronicles of Narnia and more.
What To Expect
Wētā Workshop Experience
Explore props, costumes and cool stuff
From The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit to Avatar and District 9, learn about the making of props, costumes and creatures created for your favourite films. Interact with cool stuff from our creative departments and, if you're lucky, catch an artist at work.
Creative Workshop - 60 mins
Create your own keepsake: Stamp or emboss your own pattern on genuine leather, then dye and finish your sample.
Craft in small groups: Allowing for one-on-one time with our crew. No creative experience necessary. Just bring yourself and your enthusiasm.
Take your creation home!
Explore the Wētā Cave retail store:
A cavern of creativity in its own right! Be greeted by giant trolls on arrival, explore our mini-museum.
- There is a 550m walk between the tour space and hands-on workshop space.
- Please notify us if you have sensitive skin or known allergies. For more on the products we use, contact us at [email protected].
- Our tours & workshops frequently sell out, particularly during peak season (Oct-Apr). We strongly recommend booking online in advance.
- There is no luggage storage in the Wētā Cave or within our tour spaces.
- For groups of 20 people or more, please check out our Events & Group Tours.
- Wētā Workshop Tours is proud to hold a Silver Award from Be Accessible.
- For our cancellation policy and terms and conditions please see here.