Mix your own fake blood & create convincing wounds with special effects makeup.
Our crew have been slipping and sliding on faux blood and loose limbs since the days of Braindead (1992). Learn to create convincing wounds with silicone gels, special effects makeup, and movie blood.
What To Expect
Wētā Workshop Experience - 90 mins
Part 1: Explore props, costumes and cool stuff
From The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit to Avatar and District 9, learn about props, costumes and creatures created for your favourite films. Interact with cool stuff from our creative departments and catch an artist at work.
Part 2: Enter our world of miniatures and modelmaking
Discover the filmmaking technique of miniature effects and learn how they are built for hit TV and film productions. Wander through monumental miniatures from Thunderbirds Are Go and see how we fit an entire island, cityscape, and mansion under one roof!
Creative Workshop - 60 mins
Begin your journey as a special fx makeup artist: In this introductory workshop, you will learn how to make fake blood, apply a custom fake wound to yourself using silicon and paint it to look like the real thing.
Craft in small groups: Allowing for one-on-one time with our crew. No creative experience is necessary. Just bring yourself and your enthusiasm. Gain hands-on tips and techniques from our crew.
- Please notify us if you have sensitive skin or known allergies. For more on the products we use, contact us at [email protected]
- Our tours & workshops frequently sell out, particularly during peak season (Oct-Apr). We strongly recommend booking online in advance.
- There is no luggage storage in the Wētā Cave or within our tour spaces.
- For groups of 20 people or more, please check out our Events & Group Tours.
- Wētā Workshop Tours is proud to hold a Silver Award from Be Accessible.
- For our cancellation policy and terms and conditions please see here.